Saturday, October 4, 2008

article published!

I talked a week or so ago about being asked to write an article for some friend's budding publication The Fine Print.  Well, here is the final product:


While I'm nervous about how I'll react upon receiving criticism, it's something I a) need to come to terms with and b) am really proud of myself for simply doing.  It took me quite some time to actually write the article.  I'm also forever indebted to Hanners and Kite for allowing me to use some of their amazing pictures from the trip.  I didn't know exactly how to deliver what the editors had asked for, mostly because I couldn't articulate what I wanted to.  I'm still having a difficult time discussing and truly explaining my experiences.  Yet I feel that this article is probably the most real and accessible I've been in terms of explaining it.  It's odd, I can talk to people from the trip very easily mostly because I don't have to really explain anything, but get me with someone who knows limited things about India and I get overwhelmed and don't know where to start.  I suppose I don't really care what people have to say about it.  A classmate of mine, a graduate student from India, said she really enjoyed the piece and found it rather accurate.  Greatest compliment I could have received and all I needed.

Also, if you acquire a print copy of the publication, be sure to read Losing Grace by Matthew Clark.  It's not online for some reason.  I wish it was so I could post a link for it.  It's a short column, but I honestly feel it's the best written and most interesting piece in the 24 page publication.  I'm not just saying that because Matthew is a dear friend of mine, but because it is what I truly believe.  He's a wonderful writer and I, for one, look forward to reading more of his work.

No comments: