Thursday, April 24, 2008

adventure

I felt I deserved some sort of break or reward for finishing classes in one piece.  So I decided yesterday after I turned in my lab reports (yes plural) I would refuse to do work until Friday.  So today I woke up at 7:00 per usual... and rolled over until 8:00.  Hells yeah.  I slept in.  I had no idea what I was going to do with my day and still hadn't really decided when I stopped shootin the shit at 11:00 and took off in my little car.  I took 441 south thinking I'd figure plans out by the time I got to Micanopy.  I decided that adventures on beautiful day should abide by the following 3 rules:  Rule 1: Windows down.  Rule 2:  No cell phones.  I turned that shit off and threw it in my back seat somewhere (later spending 20 minutes to find it).  Rule 3: Happy music only.  Accordingly, I jammed in the car for a good 20 minutes enjoying the weather and singing at the top of my lungs.  I also stopped twice to look at things on the side of the road.  Flowers rock.

When I reach Micanopy I had made one decision, to check out the antique shops and see what was new.  I don't recall everything being so ridic. overpriced.  So I hopped back into the my adventure machine and set out for the junk lady's castle of treasures in McIntosh.  I never got there.  I got pleasantly lost and ended up along the Hawthorne Trail.  I have no idea how I got there, nor do I really care.  It was an adventure.  Duh.  Directions and maps are not very adventurous.  I decided that this was an omen, so I headed back into Gainesville.  

I made another decision to go thrift store shopping and see if there were any new treasures calling me.  Indeed there were.  I got a chair for the kitchen table.  We've had the table for about 6 months but we never bothered to get chairs.  So basically it's just held whatever things I'd picked up and brought home.  Honestly, I'm surprised my roommate puts up with me.  I bring weird things home and we really don't have a ton of space.  We had a chat later about how we needed to think of a new organization scheme since I keep bringing things home... and home is looking a bit cluttered.  Anyway, back to the treasures... I only got one chair... for two people.  I'll keep looking and maybe in 6 more months get another one.  The person that sold it to me made the strange statement that only "them blacks" carry cash these days.  I stared at him and didn't say anything, because I had nothing constructive or particularly nice to respond with.  Rule 4: No being mean on happy adventure days.  Plus, I wasn't in the mood today to really go into why racism is wrong.  Call me whatever.  Sometimes it's not worth the effort.

I continued my quest at Loop de Loop, an awesome little thrift store that always has super cool goodies.  I found an awesome old hard suitcase.   I'm really excited about this suitcase; I've been searching for one for at least a year.  In fact I started cleaning/reorganizing my room/stuff only to get everything out, get bored, and leave it all strewn about.  Hoooray for messes!  Seriously, nothing new.  I love messes.  I thrive in them.  Back to the story... After my scrounging for delightful treasures I'd worked up an appetite, so I went to 2nd Street Bakery.  LOVE that place.  Some friends of mine were there, so I chilled for a while with them and laughed about life.  They liked my rules and the fact that they were participating in my adventure.

We started talking about the Harn Museum of Art, so I soon set off for that to see what was new and exciting there.  The newest exhibit, Paradigms of the Unexpected, was interesting.  I liked several of the pieces.  I wrote down the artists so I could talk to Erin about them later and in order to look them up again and create a more concrete opinion about the work.  Sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed by museums and can't process it all fully in the moment.  By now it was around 4:00, so I decided to turn my phone back on (after finding it) and head home for a nap.  I didn't actually take one, but made a gigantic mess instead.  I'd say that today's adventure was a success.  Another lovely adventure.  I think I can tackle exams now.

No comments: