Thursday, July 17, 2008

return

Its very strange being back in this space called my real life.  I don't feel like I belong here.  Not that I felt like I belonged and could forever inhabit India, but I also feel highly awkward and out of place in my own everything.  My apartment is more foreign to me than Delhi.  The abundance of material things I have is astounding.  I feel better that I mostly have books and junk treasures.  It's also an interesting navigation with our currency.  My bank account is sad; but as broke as I am, I still have more monetary wealth than 75% of Indian citizens have in an entire year.  This is also a difficult thing to mentally comprehend.  I'm excited that I'm meeting up with Kite today for coffee to discuss things.  She went on the trip with me.  I'm thinking it's going to be extremely helpful to talk to her about things I'm thinking/feeling.  Probability is high that she is feeling similarly.  I'm also tired and unable to sleep really.  I don't quite understand.  I do however understand my stomach which is not too happy about my food choices the past day and a half since I've been home.

Our group was warned that reverse culture shock is worst than the initial culture shock.  I'm going to have to agree with that statement.  I'm preparing, mentally to be slightly depressed for a little while until I readjust.

I truly had every intention of posting, at least once, from India.  This did not happen since I had internet about once a week and only long enough to check email.  Since this unexpected event happened, I have decided to edit and post my journal entries from my trip to provide insight into my personal transformations and adventures.  I'll be working on that for some time, so stay tuned.  My blog is not the only thing I didn't expect not to be able to do.  There were so many other things (which I will elaborate on later) that I could never have expected.  I don't know what I expected really or where those preconceived notions originated from, but things were more than I could have imagined.  I use 'more' since I don't know how to really describe so much of life there and the things I was immersed in.  

No comments: