Wednesday, June 10, 2009

campus

This is the final week of field trips for my Local Flora class.  As the semester comes to a close (Summer A is abbreviated into a six week intensive semester), I can't help but feel slightly sad.  This is my last botany course of my undergraduate career... and if I decide to go in a different direction when I figure my life out, possibly ever.  I don't think I'll ever stop being curious or wondering about the natural world... but I honestly fear having a job that does not involve it in some way.  Would I be happy?  Could I be content for long enough to save money and go back to school?  

I had an interview today with the local domestic violence shelter, Peaceful Paths, and I think it went rather well.  But I got home and started thinking about how different I felt in that particular interview than I did in my last with Environment America.  I felt nervous of course, but not nearly as excited about the idea of working there as I did previously.  Not that I find Violence Prevention a lesser cause, but more because environmental protection, conservation, and advocacy is where I think I'll find my niche.  It combines both the activism and move for social change that I love with the world I wish to protect and share with others.  But then again, who knows what I'll be good at or what I'll really find the most joy in doing.  I'll just have to wait and try things out.

I really just want someone to pay me to have a garden, make things, sit on a porch and read.  Too bad these things sound more like hobbies than careers... or even short term job fixes.   I've been so wrapped up in finishing school and getting out, I've forgotten how much I really do enjoy learning.  Perhaps waiting to go to onto my masters is a good thing.  Perhaps I'll remember why I loved learning so much.  And wonder why I was in such a hurry to get out/finish.  Or maybe I'll discover how to learn without wanting some sort of grade or certification for it.  Learn for the shear joy of learning.



Macfadyena unguis-cati (Cat's claw vine)


Tillandsia usneoides (Spanish moss)


Colocasia esculenta (Wild taro)


Pleopeltis polypodioides (Resurrection fern)


Lagerstroemia indica (Crape myrtle)


Zamia pumila (Coontie)


Butia capitata (Pindo palm)

No comments: