Tuesday, June 30, 2009

a pioneer of american abstraction

On display at the Harn Museum of Art in Gainesville is an incredible exhibit of Esphyr Slobodkina's work.  Slobodkina (1920-2002) was a pioneer in the development of abstract art and a founding member of the American Abstract Artist Group.  The exhibit spans the entire span of her career, beginning with her work as an illustrator of children's books to her painting to her final sculpture completed in 2001.  The exhibit includes more than 60 paintings, drawings and mixed media constructions that reflect Slobodkina's unique style based in collage and assemblage.  The exhibit is organized by the Slobodkina Foundation in association with the Heckscher Museum of Art , Huntington, New York, and is curated by Dr. Sandra Kraskin. (Summary paraphrased from Harn Museum of Art's May/June newsletter).



Book accompanying the exhibit.  I'd love to own a copy.


One of the books she illustrated.  I LOVE these illustrations.  I'd really like to have a copy of a print of one to put in my place.  Actually, I'd also love to have this book.  Maybe I'll get it to read to 'Liv when she gets a bit older.








The exhibit runs through September 6th.  I might have to go see it again.  I was so overwhelmed and awestruck when I went the first time.



No comments: