Monday, June 29, 2009

the waiting is the hardest part

The next step on the paper making adventure is the retting... or rotting of unwanted plant tissues.  When farmers do this, they usually cut the plant and let the cutting sit in the field, or float in a slow moving bog or stream, for a few months.  They then collect the crop and scrape off the unwanted tissues to collect the fibers.  Unfortunately for us, we don't have a field, stream or bog.  Nor am I really willing to wait for months (probably safe to say Erin isn't either).  So our process is a bit different.  I've completely submerge the fibers in a plastic tub with a lid and will let 'em soak until Friday.  Then... more fun.  Unless they're not quite ready, then I guess we'll have wait some more.  I've never done this before, so I'm not 100% sure how long this should take.  Patience is one of those things I'm still working on.  Erin is only slightly better at it.

Only downside is it's a bit smelly.  Luckily I have a lid for this container.  I might change the water and check things out in a few days.  I'll just have to keep an eye on it.  I don't want the fibers to start rotting too!





2 comments:

Ruth said...

Great project to share!

Liz said...

Thanks so much, Ruth! I'm glad you've stopped by!

By the way, I LOVE your jewelry. Beautiful work.