Tuesday, June 16, 2009

specimens

Southern green stink bug
(Acrosternum hilare)


Ok so I've been on a bit of a bug kick lately.  I can't help it though, they're literally everywhere.  Oh Florida in the summer time!  Today I came home from class and found this dude in my shirt.  Jerk didn't even offer to buy me a drink!  So I lured it into a plastic container... and put it in the freezer.  I have no idea if I was sprayed, or stung, or whatever but while I was getting it out of my shirt my hand was burning.  Hence why this visitor went into the freezer.  I feel slightly bad about freezing its tiny ass, but not enough to truly regret it.   Now I have something new to play with/look at... and give to a friend... they know who they are.  I would post my own pictures, but my camera won't capture images that tiny.  So we must make due with these I found on the internets.



I really like this diagram.  The shape of the abdomen is oddly pleasing.  I have a sudden urge to draw them and put in the specifics of my specimen.  I also enjoy the word specimen.  Specimen... it makes me feel closer to Charlie D.  Yeah that's what I call Charles Darwin.

Specimen, specimen, specimen...

2 comments:

brenhan said...

some tiny animals can survive freezing. the stink bug could be still alive.

be careful, he might want revenge when he thaws.

Liz said...

Haha! I gave him to a friend who was collecting for her bug class. I bet he has a pin in him now. I'll have to keep an eye out for his ghost.